MIKE NOBLE - R.I.P.


Images copyright relevant owner

Just learned (over at MOONBASE CENTRAL) that legendary artist MIKE NOBLE passed away at the age of 88 on November 15th.  Mike was a titan in British comics and illustrated FIREBALL XL5 in TV CENTURY 21, as well as a whole host of other strips in various publications.  Sad to see yet another figure who featured heavily in my childhood depart this mortal vale.  I never met Mike, but WOODSY or SCOOP (from the afore-mentioned Moonbase Central blog - newsflash - it was Scoop) made a point of mentioning my name to him at a convention once, and telling him how much a fan of his work I was.  It's good to know that he got to hear that in conjunction with my name.

I think that Mike Noble was Britain's equivalent to JACK KIRBY (as inked by WALLY WOOD), as every panel he drew had a sense of dynamism about it.  In tribute to Mike, what follows is one of my very favourite strips that he drew.  (Click to enlarge, then click again for optimum size.)






No comments