DON'T FORGET TO REMEMBER NOT TO FORGET...


Copyright relevant owner

Something that occurred to me a good while back is just how fickle memory can be when it comes to seeing something or someone out of its/their usual context.  For example, if a woman assistant in one of my local shops says hello to me on her day off, because I see her in civvies and away from the surroundings with which I associate her, I might wonder who she is - until I see her in the shop the next day and then it hits me.  (Who's the buggah who said I should be hit more often?  Cheek!)

It's the same with actors.  I remember watching IVANHOE on TV in the '60s, and remembered the theme tune and everything.  Everything except that it was the same actor, ROGER MOORE, who I saw playing The SAINT a few years later.  Same goes for PETER PURVES, who played one of DOCTOR WHO's assistant before joining BLUE PETER - yet it never once occurred to me at the time that it was the same person.  Was I just a total thicko?  (Too enthusiastic a response in the affirmative there, Crivvies.)

I'm sure that most of you will have seen VIC REEVES' & BOB MORTIMER's version of classic TV show RANDALL & HOPKIRK (DECEASED).  I recalled the first episode years after the fact - then I watched it again on DVD and was surprised to see DAVID TENNANT playing a prominent role.  Why didn't I recognise him when I saw him in CASANOVA and Doctor Who?  

So, is there something you thought you remembered long after the fact, only to find on re-encountering it that there was an element of it you'd forgotten - but shouldn't have?  Do tell.  It doesn't have to be about actors or TV shows - anything's fair game. 

No comments