JOE KUBERT'S TOR 2008 COVER GALLERY...


Images copyright relevant owner

In 1975, DC COMICS released the first issue of a new bi-monthly comic by JOE KUBERT, called simply TOR.  I bought it, but I was unaware that five subsequent issues followed in it's wake until many years later, though they were merely reprints of 1950s stories featuring the character.  I couldn't tell you how long I kept that first issue, but sometime in the late '80s or early to mid-'90s, I obtained a replacement for it, which I retain to this day.  And, just last year, in October, I managed to acquire issues 2-6 in that '70s run.

However, in 2008, DC released a new, six-issue series of Tor, again by Joe Kubert, and I bought that first issue too, meaning that I then had two first issues of the same character, divided by 43 years.  Well, guess what?  Today I received issues 2-6 in that run also, meaning that I've now completed the set just over ten years after it first came out.  Believe it or not, there was also a four-issue MARVEL/EPIC series of Tor in 1993, but I'll probably not bother with that as I didn't know about it at the time, and only learned of it back in October.

And, truth to tell, I can't claim to be a huge fan of the character (though I do like Joe Kubert's art), and only bought the original first issues because they were new number ones.  The collecting compulsion can be a powerful thing, and that's the main reason I eventually decided to complete both sets - simply in order to finish what I'd begun back in 1975 and 2008.  (It was almost like revisiting the past in the process.)

So, as I never knew about the Marvel series and never bought the first issue back in '93, I can live without them.  Having said that, if they should ever come up at a reasonable price, I may indulge myself.  After all, never say never.  Not that you're interested in any of that, you're just here for the pictures.

So - here they are...   





No comments